Friday, October 23, 2009

Life of Pi by Yann Martel | Post 2

I believe I am almost done with this fantastic novel. Yann Martel sure can tell a captivating story. So far, Pi has been stuck on a lifeboat with no food or water, but on board are a live zebra, orangutan, hyena, and a Bengal Tiger. After all the other animals have been "disposed" of, the tiger, who is named Richard Parker, scares Pi out of his wits. But soon, the two learn to coexist, and Pi begins attempting to train the tiger.
I love the storytelling in this book, how Pi uses his clever wits to survive the voyage to safety. There are many Indian folklore that put the narrator in the same scenario: he is in desperate trouble, and the only companion he has is a tiger. Also, this story reminds me of the book The Hatchet by Gary Paulson. Bith share an idea of survivability and the hardships of survival. The tiger is the same thing in The Life of Pi, as was the hostile wilderness surrounding the narrator in The Hatchet. I'm practically done with the book, so next week I will have a new book to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment