I finished reading the last bits of Troy. Although I did not like the book, as before mentioned, the ending was a bit sad, yet incredibly unrealistic. They through the king's baby off of a sheer cliff so he would not be able to avenge his father's death. That really shocked me. But what really seemed unrealistic was the reaction from the prisoners captured from Troy. They seemed pretty happy, or indifferent when the news of the prince reached them.
Also over the Thanksgiving break, I read the book A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hossini. The book takes the same theme of the Kite Runner: in Taliban controlled Afghanistan. This book does a better job of showing the oppression that the Taliban commits on a daily basis: random killings, random arrests, random beatings, no rights for women, and more. This book was another connection for me, as most of the characters in the book are Muslims, and I too am a Muslim. But what separates us is the cultures we live in, and the interpretations of our religions. This book is about a woman who is forced into marrying an abusive husband. This happens very commonly in the Middle East. Eventually, she becomes a loner, as her husband won't even let her go outside. Then her husband married another woman. The first wife and the second wife become friends almost immediately, and plot to avenge their husband for all the cruelty he commits. All in all, it was a good read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment